Eligibility Requirements

The Army isn’t looking for just anyone to treat its soldiers and their family members. Aspiring healthcare professionals must distinguish themselves mentally and physically, and always push themselves to be the best. See if you are among the few who met or exceed the eligibility requirements for Army service below.

Take this short survey to determine whether you are likely to be eligible to become a member of the Army Medical Department. Answer the question below to get started.

Are you older than 18 years (17 with parental permission)?


To join the Army, you have to be at least 18 years old (17 with parental consent). As for the upper age limit, it depends on the Service and the program:

  • Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP): 36
  • Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine (USUHS): 36
  • Army, Army Reserve and Army National Guard: 42

Age waivers are available for these eligibility requirements, but approval depends on your skills and the Army’s needs.


Since all Army Medical Department members serve as commissioned officers, you must be a U.S. citizen in order to apply. There is no waiver for this eligibility requirement

Grade-Point Average (GPA) + Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) Scores

In general, an applicant for the HPSP or USUHS should have a minimum GPA of 3.0 and a minimum MCAT score of 500. A competitive applicant should have a GPA of at least 3.6 and an MCAT score between 506-509. The Army also factors in volunteer work and leadership.

Degrees + Licensing

HPSP and USUHS require all of its applicants to have baccalaureate degrees from accredited programs in the United States, Canada or Puerto Rico. Also, in order for the HPSP application to be final, applicants must be accepted to, or enrolled in, an accredited physician of medicine (MD) or physician of osteopathic medicine (DO) degree program in the United States or Puerto Rico.

If you hope to enter the Army as a full physician, you must have a degree from an accredited MD or DO program from the United States or Puerto Rico.

Accreditation must come from the Liaison Committee on Medical Education or the American Osteopathic Association

Physicians with degrees from foreign medical schools must also:

  • Pass either the Foreign Medical Graduate Examination of the Medical Sciences or hold an Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates certification
  • Be certified by the American Board of Medical Specialties
  • Complete GME1 in the US, Canada or Puerto Rico
  • Be licensed to practice in the United States and its territories
  • Be currently engaged in clinical practice

Finally, physicians need to have completed one year of graduate medical education, must have a valid state license issued by a state, territory or commonwealth of the United States or the District of Columbia, and should be board-certified or board-eligible.

Physical + Moral Standards

Regardless of your age, you must have a physical to indicate that you are healthy enough to serve in case you are deployed. Where you take your physical depends on the program you want to enter. HPSP applicants will take a physical at a Military Entrance Processing Station near them, and USUHS applicants will take their physicals through the Department of Defense Medical Examination Review Board. You are also required to pass a security investigation and demonstrate the high moral standards expected of a physician and a military officer.

Waivers are available on a case-by-case basis for these eligibility requirements. Depending on the program, you may want to apply early to give the Army enough time to approve your waiver.

Prior Service + Prior Military Commitments

Those with prior service or prior military commitments can apply to be military medical students, residents or physicians, although some individuals may need to fill out extra applications. For example, Reserve Officers’ Training Corps cadets must be approved for an educational delay because of their existing military commitments before they apply to HPSP or USUHS.

If you are an active-duty service member, you must receive permission from your Personnel Command to leave your current assignment and apply to medical school and scholarship programs. In that case, any preexisting service obligation for your military education and training will be added to any obligation related to your participation in a medical-scholarship program.

To be contacted by one of the Army’s top-notch healthcare career counselors, fill out the form below and someone will be in touch as soon as possible.

If you don’t want to wait, just call or text (702) 303-5757 to speak to healthcare career counselor Staff Sgt. Sahara Celeste.